We in Social Tech reveals its first 20 accelerated women-led tech businesses focused on positive social impact
Following the successful launch of the We in Social Tech accelerator in October 2018, and of the first call for applicants which ran consecutively until November last year, 20 outstanding businesses have been selected to join this unique accelerator programme, designed to support 60 female founders to start, grow or scale their tech-for-good businesses between 2019-2020.
The first cohort of 20 women-led social tech businesses joined the programme in January and are incubated at Wood Green Works until July 2019. Their personalised support programme for growth includes mentoring, training and consultancy, as well as investment and finance readiness, to meet the needs of their businesses.
Each selected business has a unique way of using technology to create a positive social impact:
- Baobab Circle – uses AI to tackle Africa’s next health crisis: chronic disease
- Career Ear – an intuitive careers advice and recruitment platform for young people
- Fledglink – bridging the gap between young people looking for work and organisations seeking diverse talent, Fledglink proactively supports socially disadvantaged and minority individuals
- Generation Medics – empowers current and future health professionals to succeed in their careers
- InChorus – shines a light on bias and harassment to grow inclusive organisations.
- Loopster – a revolution in how children’s nearly new clothes are bought and sold
- Market without Borders – the world’s first peer-to-peer marketplace and fintech solution for the 2 billion people without bank accounts
- Open Online Theatre – a digital creation and performance space to co-create and live-stream rehearsals and performances
- Walk With Path – a smart insole that aids mobility in those with neurological conditions and sensory deficits
- Pocket Pals – sparking the imagination of children through digital experiences that ignite a lifelong interest in the natural world
- IQ – transforming the lives of every person touched by Dementia, through a Web- app coaching platform helps those involved with the care pathway to understand and lead a better life.
- RoomForTea – a shared living network enabling anyone to turn a property into a co-living space, on a flexible basis.
- Rosetta – developing an immersive, interactive, social and communication Virtual Reality training game, for children and adults on the autism spectrum
- Studio Meineck – designs for the most important mental health and well-being issues society faces
- Supply Change – the first digital marketplace to specialise in making the process of procuring social enterprises easier, safer and quicker
- Sustainable Travel – the ultimate digital destination for the community of eco-conscious travel-lovers
- The Power of Hebe – combining the healing power of laughter and the wonder of technology, building a more socially confident, mentally healthy, connected society.
- The Communality – a social platform for cancer patients to give and receive peer support.
- VR:Calm – empowering and uplifting people with dementia through Virtual Reality.
- Zeez Sleep Pebble – an under the pillow device designed to help us to fall asleep, stay asleep, and wake refreshed.
The application portal for We in Social Tech Cohort 2 will open on 15 April and close on 19 May 2019. If you would like the opportunity to join the next Accelerator, subscribe to the We in Social Tech mailing list for updates. For enquiries email email@example.com.
Keep abreast of accelerated businesses’ updates by following the Nwes social media channels: